Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Who wudda thunk it?

During our Lake George vacation last week, and since coming home, I have been searching for a plastic box to serve as the permanent enclosure for the magnetic loop tuning capacitor.  Ideally, the box needs to be 6" x 3.5" X 3.5" (15cm X 9cm X 9cm).  Shouldn't be all that hard, right?

It has turned out to be not as easy as I had thought. Years ago, I used to have a plastic index card box that probably would have been perfect.  Of course, now that I need it and want it, I can't find it anywhere.  I either got rid of it, or I'll find it someday after the project is completed. It seems that's always how it goes.

There are various kitchen food containers at the supermarket that would serve the purpose; but I'm looking for something a little more "elegant" and professional looking.  I went to Staples to look at new version of index card file boxes, and didn't like anything I saw.  The plastic, while rigid, is kind of on the thin side.  I can imagine it shattering as soon as I try to cut holes into it. The more I searched for an off-the-shelf solution, the more disappointed I became.

Going on the premise that "Google is your friend', I started searching for "plastic boxes" and subsequently found out that "plastic enclosures" is more of what I had in mind.  I must have gone through about a half dozen Websites before I finally hit upon www.polycase.com.

I decided upon their WP-33F enclosure, which is pictured here:


This is just a tiny bit larger than I had intended, as it's 6" X 4" X 4" (15cm x 10cm X 10cm), but that's OK as it will allow for more room for my meaty fingers as I wire up the capacitor to the two SO-239 connectors. It's made of LEXAN 143R Resin and comes with a weatherproof gasket to make sure the contents stay nice and dry under outdoor conditions. The cost was a bit higher than anticipated, but I purchased two ....... because I'll probably screw up on my first attempt at cutting and drilling (I always do).

Hopefully, they will arrive later this week or early next week.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. NEMA enclosures. You can find them at any home improvement store. They come in a variety of sizes, they are extremely easy to work, weatherproof, and reasonably priced.

    I've used them for many projects -- Tower shunt feed network, Inverted V center point, K9AY loop center point, remote balun.

    They work well.

    ReplyDelete