Thursday, August 06, 2015

Touchy subjects

In my almost 40 years as an Amateur Radio op, I have found there are certain "hot button" topics that should be avoided, if you can. And I ain't talking politics or religion, either. In no special order, here are five that I can think of, right off the bat:

1) Old "Took my license test at the FCC" examination system vs. new VE examination system

2) Code vs. No Code

3) QRP vs. QRO

4) Windows vs. any other OS

5) What constitutes being "A Real Ham".

I am sure there are many more that generate emotional and vociferous debate.  When I see one of these topics brought up on an e-mail reflector, my initial reaction is "Uh-oh, this is going to get bad." And sadly, usually it does. When emotions override reason, things can get ugly and feelings can get hurt. Somehow, keyboards seem to bring out the snarkiness in people.  It has become easier to type things and hit the "send" button, when you would never dare utter those same things to someone in a face to face conversation.

Mea culpa, I have been guilty of that myself.  However, authoring a blog (and the comments you receive) teaches you a few things along the way. You come to realize that words do indeed have consequences and that kindness, humility and gentleness are always good virtues to practice - especially when you want to leave them by the roadside and vent with a vengeance.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Related: The Philadelphia office where my father took his exam is slated for closing.

    ReplyDelete