Sunday, July 27, 2014

FOBB 2014

I ended up staying home, working from the shack and forgoing my bumblebee number. The weather was partly a factor as one minute it was sunny and five minutes later it looked like it was going to downpour.

The real issue was my back. I woke up this morning with a stiff lower back. Nothing incapacitating, but sore enough that hiking to my FOBB destination while carrying all my gear, and then setting up would have been no fun. Added to that was the fact that my sore back has also slowed me down somewhat, so if I would have had to dismantle the station in a hurry, it would have been a problem.

Even from home, on the good antennas, band conditions seemed to stink. I didn't hear a lot of FOBB'ers, and those I did hear were pretty weak. Giving out a 559 was generous today. I managed to work 15 stations.

I sure hope band and weather conditions and my back are better for the Skeeter Hunt!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:22 PM

    Larry,
    Glad to see I was not alone. We were under a tornado watch so I operated from the back deck with the k2 and a end fed parz thrown up in a tree. In two hours I made 5 contacts. I still had a blast. For the skeeter, I plan to operate from 2800 feet in the shenandoah, hope to do better.

    73
    K4YND

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry,
    I had to give it up totally. I got home from church and packed up fast. But looking at the weather report I knew it would be iffy.

    Got lakeside and got a string up in the tree but decided to use my Plan B spot as it has a pavilion vs. open air. Could see a rainstorm heading my way across the lake so laid wire out on the ground but didn't hoist it up. Good thing. Lightning fired up and the rain and wind was bad. Glad I carried a rain coat.

    After 1 hour 15 min rain stopped, but still some thunder booming around. I waited another hour and by then it was 3:40 or so and I took advantage of the break in the rain to roll up my wire and head home. Never got my rig out of the carrier. Just was not safe to operate and even if I had, QRN would have been deafening.

    Shucks! This is one of my favorite events and the last two years have been disappointing wx wise!

    Glad you got to make some contacts. Maybe next year?

    72,
    Kelly K4UPG was to be BB #49

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,

    Not next year - in two weeks, Skeeter #31!

    I'll start praying for better weather now. ;-)

    73 de Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was raining a lot here and finally ended up under a shelter. Thanks for the Q.

    JP VA2SG BB18

    ReplyDelete