Thursday, May 15, 2014

FDIM and Dayton

Once again, I do not have the good fortune of being able to attend FDIM and Dayton.  Attending FDIM is like, #1 on my wish list, but not this year and probably not next year, either.  Joey's Confirmation is this weekend and next year, Cara's will be the same weekend. So maybe FDIM 2016?  I can always hope!

But even though I'm not there, I do have the symposium running on a separate tab and I am listening, while working. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/g4gxl-test is the link, for those of you not in the know.

What I am listening to is mostly over my head.  I'm not a technical wizard by any stretch of the imagination.  Most of these guys making presentations are using transporters while I'm still rubbing two sticks together, trying to make fire.  That said, it's still fun to listen to. Craig Behrens NM4T gave a talk that I am actually able to follow and enjoy - same for Rev. Dobson's talk on regenerative receivers earlier this morning. And right now there's a fascinating talk being given about WWII POWs building clandestine radios by Dave Cripe NM0S. Man, I wish I were there!

All this talk of Arduinos has me curious.  There's a guy who comes to all the NJ Hamfests who sells beginner kits and I have that ARRL Birthday Month coupon kicking around - and they have a good book on Arduino experimenting, if I remember correctly.  Intriguing (like I don't have enough to do!).

This afternoon during lunch I had a cool QSO with Gary WA2JQZ who was operating the Marshall Spaceflight Center ARC station WA4NZD. Gary was using a Yaesu FT950 at 5 Watts to a dipole.  He was a good 579 or louder here and I got a 559 in return.  I had actually worked Gary a few weekends ago during QRPttF. So we talked about that among other things.

And I hope I'm not "talking out of school" here, or giving away state secrets, but Gary shared some information that I am going to pass on.  Please listen for N4A later on this year, sometime towards the end of July. The Marshall Spaceflight Center ARC will be using that call to run a Special Event station honoring and commemorating Apollo 11 - which of course, landed on the Moon in July - July 20th, 1969 to be exact.  I'm not sure when they will be on, but I am sure there will be announcements in all the usual places.

As a Baby Boomer, I was a huge manned spaceflight fan/geek.  When I hear about something like this, I make every effort to work the space flight themed Special Event stations - even if it means picking up a microphone (ugh!)

Update - Congrats to TJ Campie, W0EA (fellow blogger) who won one of four TenTec Rebel radios, which were given as door prizes today at FDIM. It was neat to listen in as his name was announced.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care enough to send the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment