Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Tired

Work has been a bear the past few days. The weather has turned decidedly Springlike, but yet I've been stuck behind my desk the past three days. No lunchtime QRP for W2LJ.  :-(

And to make matters worse, it's that time of year that we QRP Fox hunters go into withdrawal, as the season has ended. So I'm tired from work, but yet can't fall asleep, and I'm in Fox withdrawal to boot ..... so what do I do? I get on the air - that's what!

Tonight, I worked EA8TL on 17 Meters. He was one of the few stations that I was able to hear on the band after dinner, but was he ever loud. Like, across the street loud! I called Jorge, and got through on the 1st call with 5 Watts.

After that, I engaged in a nice ragchew with Jeff, K9JP, who answered my CQ on 20 Meters. Jeff was using a KX3 also, and was blasting into New Jersey with 4 Watts. He's also an SKCC member, so it was a 2X KX3 SKCC QSO! That's a lot of capital letters!

After the QSO with Jeff, I dove into the pileup to work W1AW/4 from Virginia on 80 Meters. I managed to break that pileup in about 10 minutes, maybe a little less. 80 Meters was a lot tamer than it was last Thursday night when I got skunked in the last hunt of the season.

All the while that I was chasing W1AW/4, I was also playing with the DX Labs suite of programs. Sometimes I feel like Diogenes, searching for the perfect logging program like he searched for an honest man. DX Labs looks like it's going to require a bit of a steeper learning curve than Ham Radio Deluxe. But it is very comprehensive and full featured. If I ever get the hang of it, I just may switch over.

Did I mention that my old, decrepit shack  laptop uses Windows XP? I turned it on for the first time since support ended and it didn't blow up!  ;-). (Like I thought that it would ... NOT!) Gosh, I'm getting punchy here, I had better try to get some sleep.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:24 AM

    Larry,
    Take a look at log4om logging program. I switched over from HRD and the it is a very nice program. One of the nice features I like, is the dx cluster links with your data base and tells you rather you need that country on that band, mode, or if you need a confirmation from LOTW. I really like it. And it's FREE!
    Kelly Ellison - WB0WQS

    ReplyDelete