Friday, September 20, 2013

QRP Afield - tomorrow.

Today was better, QRP-wise at lunchtime.  The weather was gorgeous, and I guess the solar weather improved a bit too.  I worked 9A2HF, Franc in Croatia and RU3ZC, Boris in Russia on 17 Meters.  On 20 Meters, I had a short QSO with W4YH, Lee from Slyacauga, Alabama.

Today also marked a minor milestone.  I broke the century mark by making my 99th, 100th and 101st lunch time QRP QSOs for this year.  I started this back at the end of April and while not active every day, I have been active most week days.  Shucks!  It seems like I get more operating in during my lunch hours than I do during non existent "free spare time" at home!

However, I am looking forward to making some free time, and working the NEQRP's QRP Afield event tomorrow afternoon, and putting my club member number #650 on the air.  I think I am going to set up in the back yard, so that Harold (our beagle) can run around and get some fresh air while I operate.  Plus I will be close to the fridge for needed refills of cold iced tea, as needed (That's very important. I love iced tea!). I think I will lash the Jackite pole to the deck with some bungee cords and will use the PAR ENDFEZ, KX3 and battery for a backyard, portable field station.

I was going to go to the park to operate, but my son Joey has to serve as an Altar Server at 5:00 PM Mass tomorrow evening.  If I stay in the back yard, I can maximize my operating time as I won't have to tear down nearly as early as I would have to at the park in order to have him at our Church on time. There's also a chance of some afternoon showers here, too - so if I'm in the back yard, I can break down real fast and have everything in the house before anything can get soaked.

Speaking of the park, I am going to go there in the morning, though.  I am going to bring my newly constructed PAL (pneumatic air launcher) that I bought in kit form from the Joplin Amateur Radio Club earlier this year. It went together in a breeze!  The only downside is that I was really messy with the PVC cement primer and I now have a big purple streak going down the outside of the air chamber. I know it doesn't affect the unit's operation in the least, but it looks "messy".  I am going to have to pick up some steel wool so that I can just buff that out. Picky, I know; but I'm "just" fussy enough to want the thing not only working well, but looking good, too.  Last night, I pumped up the PAL with 25 psi of air pressure and checked for leaks in our big basement laundry sink.  There were none.  There was also a big gratifying "whoosh" of air when I finally turned the valve to the release position.  I think I will be able to get antenna support lines over trees with minimal effort now. Gonna throw that sling shot away - as I don't want to get in trouble, here in the People's Republic of New Jersey.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. OK, now you've done it. I bought one maybe a year ago or a bit longer and haven't assembled it yet. Here goes nothin'!

    ReplyDelete