Friday, August 16, 2013

I'm having fun!

I know that band conditions aren't the best.  And I also know that this Sunspot Cycle 24 maximum, as compared to other sunspot cycle maximums has been kinda "meh".  But you know what?  I'm having fun despite the band conditions!

You can sit around and pee and moan about "How this sure wasn't like the cycle we had back in '57 when you could work the world with a 1/2 Watt and a wet string!", or you can get on the air and choose to operate.  I choose the latter.

Today was another successful lunchtime QRP session.  The KX3 and Buddistick successfully netted S564EB, which is a special event station commemorating the European Basketball Championships in Slovenia.  A little later, still on 17 Meters, I bagged IS0GQX, Bruno in Sardinia for that country on a new band.


When the sunspot cycle does finally dwindle to weeks and months of little or zero spots, I'm sure that this "not so great" maximum is going to look mighty fine from the rear view mirror.  As long as it lasts, I am going to keep at it.  5 Watts to a Buddistick plopped on top of my Jeep - every QSO amazes me!

Now, to another matter.  The period for submitting log entries for the Skeeter Hunt is entering the halfway mark.  Next Sunday, August 25th at 11:59 PM EDT, is the absolute final deadline for log submissions.  So far, I've received 55 log summaries.  That's about 1/3 of the people who signed up for Skeeter numbers.  In fact, I've received two log summaries from Non-Skeeters!  So if you participated, please send me a log summary.

For some VERY preliminary results, you can go to - http://www.qsl.net/w2lj/index%20page%205

If you submitted a log and you don't see your numbers next to your call, then I didn't get them. Please send them again!  Soapbox comments and photos will appear after next Sunday.

So far here are some standings:

Top 5 finishers:
KX9X
N5GW
KX0R
NK9G
N0SS - who is also top multi op finisher so far.

Top multi op, multi transmitter is WQ4RP (so far).

Top mixed (SSB and CW) - W9LR

Top SSB - a tie between KK4NWC and KC5FM.

Hope to see your numbers soon!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. I understand your point and it is well taken. I expect to continue with QRP until the absolute bitter end...of at least "fair" propagation. One of the reasons I never sold my FT-857 (now sealed in a Pelican case) was the realization that, one day, more than five watts would be required to achieve what 5 watts can achieve today.

    ReplyDelete