Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hoot Owl Sprint Bust

The regular bands were wall to wall WPX tonight.  I tried calling "CQ QRP" for a long time, near both the 20 and 40 Meter QRP watering holes (I even went up to the 7.122 MHz neighborhood for a bit), but netted no QRP sprinters. I just did not feel like taking part in WPX, so I migrated on over to 30 Meters.

Once there, I heard K9DTH, Ron in IL calling "CQ DE K9DTH QRP" near 10.106 MHz. I put out my call and Ron came back to me for what was the beginning of a really enjoyable QSO.

It turns out that Ron was using a K1 that he just got yesterday. 5 Watts to an off center fed dipole garnered Ron a 579 report from me. I received a 599 report in return.

The weather by Ron seemed to be about the same that was here - cloudy and cool. Not exactly the kind of weather you'd expect for the weekend touted as "the unofficial start of summer". The high for the day here was 57F and there were on and off spritzes of rain all day.

Hopefully the weather will improve over the next few days.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. I agree Larry, it was really sad, I tried to participate in the Hoot Owl Sprint too but couldn't hear anything over the WPX stations that were calling in the QRP window :(

    ReplyDelete