Thursday, October 25, 2012

Oh, joy!

I received a telephone call tonight from South Plainfield's Director of Emergency Management.  He wanted to know if I can come down to the Emergency Operations Center on Saturday from 12:00 Noon to 4:00 PM to help distribute sand bags to the various South Plainfielders who want them.  Possibly Sunday, too. Good thing I wasn't planning on participating in the CQWW DX SSB Contest this weekend.

 Courtesy of AccuWeather

All of this in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy arriving sometime early next week.  Of course, I offered my assistance immediately.  Hurricane Irene is still fresh in my mind, even though it's been 14 months since she graced us with her presence.  She was the most destructive storm to hit New Jersey - ever.

The forecasts are all over the map, if you'll pardon my pun. Anywhere from nothing but some strong wind, to the possibility of a "White Hurricane" if a cold front from Canada moves into place at just the proper time.  We had a "White Hurricane" back in 1991, the much vaunted "Perfect Storm".  I still vividly remember THAT one and am not looking for a repeat performance.  I thought those were supposed to be "once in a lifetime" events, anyway!

Here's hoping and praying that Sandy is so impressed with her pre-arrival media coverage, that she turns out to be nothing more than a big fizzle!

By the way, got on the air tonight looking for some good DX in advance of the big DX contest this weekend. I didn't check out the TelNet Cluster; but I suspect all the DXers must have been hanging out in the SSB portion of the bands as there was nothing doing in the CW sections. Dead as a door nail. Can you say, "Disappointing"?


72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Larry, a fizzle is very unlikely at this point. The only questions are where, when, and how bad. Prepare for a storm like no one's seen before. Be very prepared.

    ReplyDelete