Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Random thoughts.

The other night, I tried uploading some QSOs to Log of the World.  I was unsuccessful as my certificate had expired.  I filed for a new one, got everything working and uploaded my latest batch of QSOs without a problem.  I try to do this once a month or once every couple of weeks.

Out of curiosity, I went back to the LOTW site tonight to do a little math.  I have a LOTW QSL return rate of 19.8 percent.  I have no idea as to whether that's good, bad or average.

I went over to eQSL and did the same math - 19.27 percent - slightly lower.  Frankly, that surprised me.  I think we can all agree that eQSL has less "hoops" to jump through in order to get it working.  I am not criticizing LOTW when I say that - I'm just pointing out what I think is fact.  Although personally, I have not had any insurmountable LOTW problems, I have heard horror stories from other Hams who had, and gave up - running and screaming into the night.  eQSL may not be as secure, I don't know - but it does seem easier to use. 

I would have thought (there goes that "conventional wisdom" again!) that being easier to use would also translate to " greater participation and use".  I guess not.

Tonight is the 80 Meter QRP Fox hunt.  Dave N0IT in Missouri is not feeling all that great, so he has swapped with John K4BAI.  So the Foxes will be John in Georgia and Jim K9JWV in Utah.  "Conventional wisdom" is telling me that from New Jersey on 80 Meters, I should be able to work John fairly easily and that Jim may be a stretch, if I hear him at all.

We'll see.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:43 PM

    According to the LoTW main page after log-in, the total number of QSO's entered into the system is 399,910,181 and the number of QSL records as a result is 51,272,454 for an overall QSL rate of about 12.8%, making your QSL rate well above average.

    Sounds like you're doing OK Larry!

    Dave
    AA7EE

    ReplyDelete