Thursday, May 19, 2011

K6JSS/8

In honor of Dayton Hamvention, K6JSS has been operating from the great state of Ohio this week.  By the looks and comments on QRPSPOTS, operation so far this week has been on the sparse side.

It was no surprise then, that when Mike N8IUP got on the air tonight as K6JSS/8, that he immediately faced a pileup of determined QRPers.  I joined the fray and finally made it into the log after about a half hour or so of trying.  He did come back to me earlier and asked for "W?LJ" but someone came on top of me and took my spot.  No matter, a few QSOs later, I was in the log.

Jeff Davis KE9V promised to send a photo of the new K3/KX1 if he will be able to get anywhere near it.  He said that the QRP community at FDIM is abuzz with the news.  Depending on how much this new guy costs, I just might be tempted to sell my K1 and my PFR-3A to raise funds to buy one.  If I do, it won't be for a while.  As much as I LOVE Elecraft equipment, they have a little bit of a history supplying new products right out of the gate.  I wouldn't want to sell my K1 and PFR-3A to finance a new Elecraft rig, only to have it arrive AFTER the summer QRP season is over.

If I'm going to do this; and that's highly speculative at this point, I'd wait until the initial order tsunami has petered itself out.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment