Friday, September 10, 2010

What's going on?

As I type this, I am down in the shack and am on 40 Meters.   I just finished up a nice little ragchew session with Dan KB6NU - Amateur Radio friend and fellow blogger.

I am tuning around on 40 Meters and am hearing all kinds of (pardon my expression) crap!

So far,  I have come across a guy who is calling CQ so fast, that he can't even send his own call sign correctly and without errors.  What's up with that?  I know we all have days when our fists aren't quite right; but when you can't get your own call right, I think it's time to QRS. And on a further note, whatever happened to "Accuracy transcends speed"?  I guess he doesn't belong to FISTS.

In another instance, I am listening to two guys shoot the breeze and I am hearing "WB2XXX N9XYZ" for the changeover. Did we agree to stop using the "DE"?  Did I miss something?  Was there some new general announcement about CW protocol that passed me by?  I mean, really .....how long does it take to send "DE"?  For me at least, that's a timing mechanism between the two calls.  I don't hear the "DE" and it kind of becomes a mish-mash for me.

Sorry ...... guess I fell into Curmudgeon Mode for a bit.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least! (And please send it accurately!)

1 comment:

  1. I have found the same thing on all bands.

    What you have mentioned, and more.

    As a radioman during my military service, it is more accutely felt having had procedure drilled into me.

    73 Dick

    ReplyDelete