Sunday, August 22, 2010

NJ QSO Party - "Chirp, chirp, chirp"

Maybe I should emulate the wise cricket to the left; and should consider the NJ QSO Party to be a SSB event. Because QRP and a paddle don't seem to be cutting it!

I have been calling "CQ DE NJ DE W2LJ" for close to two hours now on both 40 and 20 Meters alternately; and all I've gotten is diddly squat. All I seem to be hearing is Mr. Cricket's chirps coming back at me.

Maybe it's just crummy propagation; as I don't hear much on either band, really. Maybe the bulk of activity happened yesterday and I'm just shoveling sand against the tide.

Maybe I'll try a little bit more, later. If you happen to hear someone calling "CQ DE NJ" on either 7.035 MHz or 14.035 MHz, that may be my lone voice crying out in the wilderness.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

4 comments:

  1. I worked the NAQP SSB contest and the SARTG RTTY contest this weekend around a party on Friday and the Giants game at the new stadium yesterday. Maybe everyone is radio'ed out? I was tuning around the dial right after the last segment of the SARTG contest ended and I didn't hear anyone calling CQ NJ.

    This is the 1st time I've been home in NJ for the NJ QSO Party. I've heard others are less then thrilled with the running of the NJ QSO Party in the past including still requiring (at least from the web page) to postal mail in your log. I also can't find the results from past years.

    We'll see if the thunder I'm hearing in Northern NJ subsides in which case I'll see if I hear the same crickets you are hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    I am done for this year. More CQing yielded noting, and now thunderstorms are travelling through the areaa. Maybe I'll try again next year; or perhaps I'll just stick with the QRP contests.

    72 de Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:50 AM

    There was a decent amount of activity on the NAQP contest Saturday. I landed quite a few contacts just messing about here and there. Though, band conditions weren't optimal. I did work Hawaii on 15m, but it was barely and the only thing I heard on that band. But I was using a wire antenna. I think the beam folks fair a bit better.

    Looks like the sun went blank again, though we had a few days of life. But the ESSN is falling again, :(.

    Jason N6WBL

    ReplyDelete
  4. KC2UML9:22 AM

    Ditto on the sparse activity for NJ QSO party. Lots of activity on 20 mtrs for NA QSO, but alas no one would answer my NJ QSO call...

    Perhaps next time around, schedule with out a national event overlapping ?
    73
    KC2UML
    Rory

    ReplyDelete