Friday, April 30, 2010

Repeater Club Meeting tonight

Tonight was the monthly meeting of the ETS of NJ, which is the local repeater club, of which I am a member. It stands for the Electronic Testing Society of NJ; but in recent years, some have suggested that might better stand for the Eating and Tasting Society of NJ.

It was a lively meeting with a good turn out. Included was a motion made and passed to increase the yearly dues from the current $20 a year to $25 a year as of 2011 and on to $30 a year as of 2012. It was nice to see these gentlemen understand that if you want to keep up with the latest technical innovations and trends, that there has to be some green in the bank account.

And it was also nice to see old friends and catch up with those I haven't seen in a while.

On the ride home the other day, I had a most pleasant QSO with Gerry N2GJ who is a fellow member of NJQRP. He was giving me the update on his latest involvement with WSPR. I have to admit, that between what I have read about it in the QRP Quarterly, Julian G4ILO's blog and Gerry's pitch that I would not be adverse to giving it a go. The only thing holding me back is that my K2 has no SSB card in it, so I am not capable of partaking in the digital modes. And there are other Ham items that I would like to purchase before plunking down the $110 for the KSB2.

So unless I win the lottery soon; or inherit some money from a distantly related uncle that I don't even know that I have, it looks like my Ham Radio exploits will be confined to CW for the foreseeable future. Which believe me, I am not complaining about. CW continues to be may favorite mode of operating. But all the same, it would be nice ...........

72 de Larry W2LJ

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:47 AM

    Another worthless post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that comment above makes no sense now :-) When I first saw your article last night, it just said "T" (the stock symbol for AT&T), and nothing else. Blogger must have been having issues....

    72!
    Goody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey .... Anonymous

    Thanks for the critique! I appreciate it .... BUT, if you're a REAL man, why you hidin' behind your keyboard?

    Doesn't take much to post comments like that and then not come through with your name or call.

    I'm betting you don't have the stones to come through.

    Notice I didn't delete your comment - have you got what it takes to post a call?

    73 de W2LJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like someone from the 'zed or eham discovered blogs for the first time :-) It's a different world here; we don't facilitate the wingnuts in amateur radio in order to get more web hits and banner ad revenue.

    ReplyDelete