Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Next on deck

is the Jackson Harbor Press LC Meter kit.




Since I can't continue with the PFR3A until after I get the housing all clear coated to protect the decals, I have decided my next project will be the LC Meter kit. As it turns out, a quick visit to the Jackson Harbor Press website shows that this little kit has been discontinued. I'm glad I got one while they were still available! Fortunately, I can still download all the documentation and will do that later on tonight. Looks like this little kit will take an evening.

Regarding the PFR3A and the clear coating, the manual says to use Krylon clear matte; while several friends have told me that they have used a glossy finish with no problems. I will either go glossy or perhaps satin finish, if I can find it. Personally, I think a matte finish would take away from the bright yellow housing.

The weather here in the Northeast is still quite unsettled with lots of heavy rain. This is supposed to clear out of here some time tomorrow and leave us with fine weather for the upcoming Easter weekend. I am sure I will get my three coats of clear coat done this weekend, which will permit me to finish the PFR3A next week.

I had a nice conversation on the way home with one of the newer members of the repeater club that I met briefly last Friday evening. He told me that his interest in Amateur Radio grew out of his interest in 4 wheel drive off roading. He also informed me that a lot of off roaders out West are getting their tickets and are making use of VHF and UHF repeaters and frequencies. Hey, whatever! If it brings in more Amateurs, then it can't be a bad thing. This new Ham, in particular, is fascinated by the other facets of the hobby that he is discovering. He came in thinking that VHF/UHF was going to be his niche, only to find that he can't wait to get on HF and the possibility of world wide communications. Satellite communications are also whetting his appetite to get deeper into the hobby.

I told him that Amateur Radio is like a smorgasbord - lots of tasty dishes to try out and enjoy!

72 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment