Monday, November 02, 2009

Spartan Sprint

I participated in the Adventure Radio Society Spartan Sprint tonight. This was the first time in a long time; maybe even the first time since they abandoned their Website for the Wiki page.

40 Meters was once again QRN free for me tonight (sure it won't be that way Thursday for the Foxes!); and it was also signal free! Not many stations at all; and the band seemed to be long. I did manage to work Steve WG0AT; but somehow I doubt Rooster and Peanut were close by. The other three stations I worked were in Texas.

80 Meters yielded more contacts. I worked Maine, Illinois, Kentucky and Georgia to name a few. There were more; but not a ton more. In the hour and a half that I was on the air; I worked a total of 14 stations on both bands.

In days past, it was not uncommon to work 40 -50 stations in the two hours. I don't know if the drop off is due to band conditions or fall off in participation. Proabably a mixture of both.

On a totally different note, I ordered my free Windows 7 upgrade from Dell this past Saturday. Friends who already have it are raving about it. I liked Windows XP, it was my favorite version of Windows. In the few months that I have had this computer and have used Vista, I found it to be "okay". I prefer XP; but that is probably because I have used it for years and was so familiar with it. I have not found Vista to be the abomination that some have made it out to be.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment