Tuesday, March 03, 2009

W2LJ reporting for duty ..... SIR!

Many of you are probably familiar with a post that appeared on all the major QRP e-mail reflectors a few weeks ago, about keeping QRP alive and healthy. It was written by a prominent and well known figure in the QRP world, with his exhortations as to what we QRPers need to do in order to keep this lil' corner of Amateur Radio alive and kicking.

All filled up with a sense of duty, I went out and ordered a kit. And it is actually something that I can use ! And it arrived today.

It is a Gel Cell charger kit, marketed by of all companies - ACME QRP. It looks like it will be a breeze to assemble and get working. It's all through hole parts and it is definitely something that I can use. Even though I usually charge my gel cells with my solar panel, this looks like a neat little device to have.

In case you're interested, here is where you can find it:

http://www.acmeqrp.com/main/page_products_gc100_gel_cell_charger.html

The only things missing are the little pictures of Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner.

73 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:03 PM

    I bought and built an ACME QRP gel cell charger with good results. The circuit board is well made, components are of good quality, and the instructions were easy to follow. I charged a 7ah, 12v battery - both the battery and charger worked fine. The only nit I found was a small error in the instructions that calls for a part that is not in parts list but that was not a show-stopper. The kit was shipped to me with blazing speed, coming to my PO Box three days after ordering.

    Don, K7OG

    ReplyDelete