Thursday, February 28, 2008

This & that

I ate lunch at my desk today at work - it was one of those kind of days where lunch had to be short and sweet. However, I did go over to Google and searched videos for "Amateur Radio". There were a ton! More than I expected. Here are some good ones, at least I found them interesting! If you get a chance, check them out:

"How NOT to put up an antenna on Field Day"
"Radio Hams"
"Neighbourhood dispute over a Ham Radio long wire"
"Swiss Ham Radio antennas aerial view with RC helicopter"
"Arctic Radio"
"Andy Hardy and Ham Radio"

The one I liked the best was "Radio Hams". This was produced in the 30s or 40s and is like an old B&W movie newsreel feature. I can only imagine this as being the inspiration for a bunch of young Hams back in that era. The CW used in the short is quite easily copyable and in the end, the story has a real amusing twist.

I have also been playing with logging programs again. I don't know why; but I like to experiment and play around with these things. Once again, I have been playing a lot with AC Log. I deal with Excel all day long at work; so this program comes pretty close in appearance. It has a lot of nice features and I have found the ability to custom label a couple of entry fields to be pretty handy. Also, I have discovered (quite happily) that the memo pad field is just about as big as the one in Win-EQF, which was why I stuck with that logger for so long. It's a very flexible program, making customization very easy.

I have also been playing with AA Log. The neatest feature on that, which I absolutely love is that it works hand in hand with a program called DX Atlas. DX Atlas pops up a map of the world when you enter a DX callsign and allows you to see just where in the world the station that you are working is.

Once again, too much noise on 40 Meters to take part in the 40 Meter QRP Foxhunt; but 80 Meters was quiet enough to allow a few short ragchew type QSOs. Both of these were completed with my Vibroplex bug. I seem to be gaining in proficiency every time I use it.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment