Friday, January 18, 2008

I could get used to this!

My neighbor (whichever one it is) who owns the RFI Generator from Hell must be away on business or on a vacation this week. Last night and tonight, 40 Meters has been the way I've always remembered it - good signals with low background noise.

Last night, I was actually able to snare one of the 40 Meter QRP Foxes and tonight I was able to enjoy a half hour long ragchew with Cookie, K5EWJ out of Santa Fe, Texas. 40 Meters has been blissfully free of 20 over 9 QRN that plagues me most nights.

I don't know how long this reprieve will last; so I'm going to enjoy it as long as I possibly can. Once it returns I have a plan to walk around the neighborhood with a little battery powered SW receiver tuned around 7 MHz. Maybe I can pinpoint the house that's creating all the RF hash. Right now, it's a mystery as to who it is; and what exactly it is that's causing it. It's definitely an evening phenomena, though, which leads me to think the cause is something that someone is turning on. Most evenings it goes away by 10:00 or 10:30 PM. I'm wondering if it could possibly be a plasma TV or some other kind of appliance.

One of the kids next door fools around a lot with an electric guitar and amplifier. I'm wondering if it could possibly be something in the amp that's oscillating and is playing havoc with 7 MHz.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment