Tuesday, March 06, 2007

They're still up!

My antennas, I mean. Last night, the wind was so hard and so loud that it woke me from a sound sleep. I think I have a feeling that I now know about the kind of wind the Apostles heard on the first Pentecost!

As I lay there, listening to the house rattle and creak and marveling at the sound of the rushing winds, one of my third or fourth thoughts went to my G5RV and Butternut vertical. In the grogginess of the moment, I was sure that I was going to wake up in a few hours to find antenna and mast bits and pieces laying on the ground.

Daylight brought a plea from my dog, Jesse to be let outside in order to take care of his morning "business". As I opened the door, I was greeted by a overwhelming blast of cold Arctic air. It was about 10 degrees at that point and the wind was still howling. But a quick inspection through the open door revealed that vertical, mast and wire antenna had survived unfazed, to this point. (Knock on wood and fingers crossed!)

I certainly hope the winds die down today. Not just for the sake of the antennas; but because the wind chills are exceptionally brutal. When I dropped my kids off at school this morning, my face felt like it was going to crack as I walked them from the car to the school building. I hate it when it's so cold that my face aches.

To think that just a couple days ago it felt like May outside. Now it feels like we were dropped somewhere on an Arctic ice shelf.

Did I mention that I hate winter?

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment