Saturday, February 03, 2007

So ........ I'm a wimp!

Okay, so I'm a wimp ....... I'll be the first one to admit it.

Today is FYBO; or as QRPers know it better, Freeze Your Butt Off. This is an annual contest held by the AzQRPions. The idea? Simple. Go outside in the dead of winter, set up your portable QRP station and operate.

However, today in Central NJ, we're in the midst of an outbreak of Arctic air. After enjoying a relatively mild winter so far, today it is in the low 20s with wind chills in the teens. I really had intentions of setting up the K1 and PAC-12 antenna in the backyard and operating for an hour or two. Really!

But this is too much for me. I know there are some of my QRP brethren who will laugh at my unwillingness and scoff that it really isn't that cold here; but for me this is the pits. I'm sitting in the house with a long sleeved t-shirt, sweatshirt and fleece sweater on. And I still can't get to feeling warm! I hate the cold. Let me repeat that. I HATE THE COLD!

Now, the AzQRPions hold an event on the opposite side of the scale, the summertime "Bubba" event. Now that I can operate with no problem. The 90s and higher I have no problem with. It's 100 outside? No problem! Give me a shady spot some ice water and I'm golden! I'll operate all day in conditions like that! But this, this is unbearable for me.

Today is for staying indoors and sitting by the fire, drinking lots of hot tea. No outside radio for W2LJ today.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment